2023-2024 Pro 1 Course Deposit
More 2023-2024 Dates to come! Check back for further course offerings!
Inquire about custom dates!
Jan 8-12, 2024 is more than 50% sold, reserve your seat asap if interested in these dates.
The Pro 1 is the first step in professional level training in a progression of courses designed for avalanche workers early in their careers or for experienced workers looking to stay current with industry standards. The course covers the fundamentals of weather, snow, and avalanche observation, data collection, and recording to the industry standard in an operational setting. Students study and utilize the basics of avalanche hazard and risk assessments, while gaining operational practice in both the collection of data, daily contribution hazard and risk discussion and the forecasting process.
Students refine terrain recognition and travel skills while gaining experience characterizing avalanche paths and avalanche occurrences. Students are given the opportunity to leverage previous experience in terrain and deepen their understanding of how snowpack and terrain interact. Instructors provide coaching, instruction and ongoing evaluation both in the field and the classroom. Upon successful completion of a final written exam and several field exams, students are awarded an industry standard certification recognized by the American Avalanche Association (A3).
- Review requirements (found below).
- Pay the Pro 1 Course Deposit for the dates you are interested in attending
- Fill out the 2023-2024 Pro 1 Application
- Receive receipt of application fee/course registration from our office.
- Your application will be reviewed (up to 4 weeks) and you will be notified of your program acceptance or admissions denial.
- Pay $100 professional course fee to A3 and show receipt of this payment
- Pay your course fees in full within 30 days of program acceptance. Go to the "Pro 1 Course Balance" on our website
- Receive full course information package once course fees are paid in full.
- SAS holds a $60 administrative processing fee if your course fees need to be refunded due to not meeting application requirements.
- If you need to change the dates of your course prior to 5 weeks prior to the start of your course a $100 course change fee will apply.
- If you choose to cancel or defer your program prior to 5 weeks prior to the course start SAS will keep your deposit and refund the balance of your tuition.
Note: Once you are within 5 weeks of course start tuition is non-refundable. Please consider buying trip insurance for your course.
**If you have any registration questions please reach out to email@example.com
Student Requirements for Enrollment (1-4 all required):
Course applicants have completed the following A3 required prerequisites prior to enrollment found in the A3 Program Oversight document:
- Recreational Level 1 Avalanche Training from an A3 REC provider/program
- Avalanche Rescue Course from an A3 REC provider/program
**Note to #1 & #2 - Recreational Level 2 Avalanche Training or equivalent is highly recommended.
**A3 Note: Applicants who believe they have the educational equivalent of the above-listed prerequisites can apply to the Pro Course Provider of their choice for a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) review. Course enrollment in these situations is at the discretion of the Pro Course Provider.
3. One winter season (20 days or more) of relevant experience (demonstrated through one of the following).
- Prior avalanche work experience; OR winter backcountry travel experience supported by documented trip planning and recorded field observations that contributed to avalanche hazard assessment and personal avalanche risk management. Document template provided in application to show experience
- A supervised unpaid work internship in the guiding/avalanche industry supported by a letter of reference
- Letter of recommendation from AAA Professional member; OR
- A3 Membership (Affiliate or Professional)
- Access to SAS Online Learning Classroom
- Snow Weather and Avalanche Guidelines
- Field book
Deposit: $475, Balance: $1124
Note: some program venues may have additional or increased costs that are noted above in the program listing.
The Registration Process: Students pays deposit, application is reviewed and upon approval a payment link is sent for the final balance.
**A3 Professional Course Fees are separate and go directly through A3.
Ophir, CO courses include lodging at the Matterhorn Cabin from the night prior to course start through the last morning of the program and are $1699/per course seat (Link to Matterhorn Cabin)