Recreational Level 2 Avalanche Course
Learning to LEAD in Avalanche Terrain
Created to meet the needs of advanced, backcountry users and meticulously refined based upon our alumni’s feedback, this capstone experience represents the pinnacle of training for recreationalists in the United States.
Silverton Avalanche School’s REC Level Two is an experiential curriculum, rooted in international best practice, offered in unparalleled field locations, and led by preeminent snow safety and mountain professionals. SAS is proud to offer the most comprehensive, robust and student centered Level Two experience available for backcountry recreationalists. This course encourages students to identify their needs and areas for additional skill development as instructors support students via individualized training and learning goals.
The SAS REC Level Two provides a comprehensive, highly personalized learning experience that focuses on our students’ ability to:
- Competently assess terrain of consequence
- Understand risks, hazards, exposure and vulnerability in the backcountry
- Confidently facilitate in-field communications and decision making
- Refine micro and macro route finding and terrain management strategies recognize and address uncertainty with self and others
- Analyze the snowpack and anticipate avalanche problems, sans avy bulletin
- Lead tour planning and the development of time control plans
- Efficiently solicit observations and options from your teammates
- Be proactive in planning for rescue and emergency situations
All Level Two courses require previous completion of a one day Avalanche Rescue course, in addition to our Level 1, as students are expected to complete a rescue test and participate in emergency scenarios throughout the course.
Cancellation & Transfer Policy
SAS requires a full credit card or cash/check payment to hold your reservation. Cancellations within 1 week of the course start date will not be refunded and cannot be transferred. If you would like to transfer course dates 1 to 3 weeks prior to your original course start date, there will be a $100 transfer fee and no refund for cancellation. A date transfer more than 3 weeks before your original course start date can be done at no extra cost. Cancellations more than 3 weeks before your original course start date may receive a 50% refund. Unfortunately, we cannot give refunds, rain checks or cancellations if passes are closed. Please communicate with our office for extenuating circumstances.